Mission & History...
Founded in 1817 as a haven for children and widows left destitute in a city plagued by yellow fever and other contagions, the community that would later be called Poydras Home was first known as the Female Orphan Society. Wealthy merchant Julien Poydras, who had emigrated from France, was an early supporter and donated a home at St. Charles Avenue and Julia Street for the use of the Society. He also donated the then-significant sum of $100 to further help the institution. In appreciation, the Society’s Board of Managers changed the name to Poydras Asylum, later to become Poydras Home.
Due to overcrowding at its original location, Poydras Home moved to its present three-and-a-half acre site at Magazine Street and Jefferson Avenue in 1857. A century later, the mission had evolved from primarily serving children to one of providing care for older women in the community. In 1998, a senior day program for men and women was added. But the year 2001 brought the biggest change—the opening of Garden House for independent living and the addition of specialized care for those suffering from Alzheimer’s disease and related memory disorders.
Poydras Home Mission Statement
The purpose of Poydras Home is to respect and preserve the dignity of the human spirit among the elderly by continuing the legacy of care through quality supportive services for the elderly, promoting understanding for their particular needs and advocating on their behalf.
Awards & Affiliations