Mission & History
Founded in 1817 as a haven for children and widows left destitute in a city plagued by yellow fever and other contagions, the community that would later be called Poydras Home was first known as the Female Orphan Society. Wealthy merchant Julien Poydras, who had emigrated from France, was an early supporter and donated a home at St. Charles Avenue and Julia Street for the use of the Society. He also donated the then-significant sum of $100 to further help the institution. In appreciation, the Society’s Board of Managers changed the name to Poydras Asylum, later to become Poydras Home.
Due to overcrowding at its original location, Poydras Home moved to its present three-and-a-half acre site at Magazine Street and Jefferson Avenue in 1857. A century later, the mission had evolved from primarily serving children to one of providing care for older women in the community, later welcoming gentlemen residents as well. In 1998, a senior day program for men and women was added. The year 2001 brought the opening of Garden House for independent living and the addition of specialized care for those suffering from Alzheimer’s disease and related memory disorders. In 2013, our thoughtful, three-story addition of Oak House Assisted Living along with renovations and upgrades to the Historic House, multiple new dining spaces and a new wellness and therapy center rounded out our offerings to make Poydras Home a true continuing care retirement community.
Poydras Home Mission Statement
Enriching the lives of seniors and their families through personalized care and innovative programming in an intimate, compassionate community