April 29, 2021: As a healthcare facility under the direction of the Louisiana Department of Health, Poydras Home’s mask mandate for residents, visitors and staff is still in place both indoors and outdoors on our campus.
In March of 2020, Poydras Home closed to visitors due to COVID-19. We are thrilled to announce the Louisiana Department of Health has now loosened visitor restrictions for assisted livings and nursing homes throughout the state. While visitation will continue to look differently than it did pre-pandemic, this is a positive step for our residents and families.
As of March 16, 2021, Poydras Home will implement the following procedures to ensure and maintain a safe environment for all of our residents and staff. We strongly encourage all visits to take place outdoors, however, you may visit in your loved one’s room under these guidelines.
1. All visitors must schedule their visit in advance with Social Services & Admissions Coordinator Rachel Ducote reachable at 504-897-0535 or firstname.lastname@example.org to control the total number of visitors on campus.
2. All visitors must complete a pre-screen questionnaire and temperature scan upon entering. Any visitor with a known exposure should not visit for 14 days.
3. All visitors must wear masks and social distance regardless of vaccination status.
4. There may not be more than two visitors per resident at a time.
5. All indoor visits must take place inside the resident room. Visitors are not allowed to attend programming or enter dining rooms.
6. If your loved one is vaccinated, the resident may have physical contact with their visitor while wearing a mask.
According to the Louisiana Department of Health, visitation may be suspended for the entire community if there are two or more confirmed positive cases of COVID-19 in one care area or suspended for a single resident if that resident is placed on isolation precautious for suspected COVID-19.
Poydras Home greatly appreciates the support, patience, and understanding of our families throughout the past year. We know the separation from your loved one has been difficult but necessary for the health and safety of all the residents of Poydras Home and the greater New Orleans community.
Poydras Home residents and staff were able to receive the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine administered by CVS Pharmacy on our campus as early as December 30th followed by two additional on site vaccination clinics. We are so happy for the opportunity to take this collective, important first step toward returning to the enhanced lifestyle Poydras Home is known for.
In 2022, upon completion of the Poydras Home Reimagined expansion, Poydras Home will become the first organization to build certified Green House Project within the state of Louisiana. The lessons learned of safely weathering a pandemic in a continuing care retirement community have also served to focus our attention on the advantages of the new physical layout of our Green House homes at Poydras Home. This close-knit, smaller scale approach to residential living increases infection control by greatly reducing the number of staff members who support each home, while also reducing the number of residents who live in close proximity to one another. With reduced rotation of staff in and out of each setting, Green House Project care model homes across the nation have had significantly lower COVID-19 infection during the pandemic. Poydras Home enthusiastically embraces this new layer of safety for our residents as we continue to prioritize their health and happiness above all else.
Read about The Green House Project’s success in limiting COVID within their homes here and explore research conducted by the University of North Carolina published by the Journal of Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine here.
All things new and interesting in our community